Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

exclude direct traffic for the landing page as goal completion

[ Edited ]
Nik
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Nik
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - we have traffic coming directly to the thank you pages (mostly from facebook ads leads which are sent to the thank you page content) and we don't want it to count as a goal completion.

any idea how can that be done?

Thanks!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nik,

One possible solution: 

If you're running GTM on your site, you can use a trigger where the referrer for the event tag has to be the previous page in the process. Should block all the duplication events (and goals) from the visitor returning directly to the thank-you page.

There are some things that you'll need to keep in mind. Read those topics to learn more:

1. https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Reports/Fake-converion-Direct-access-to-c...

2. https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Tracking-Goals/Tracking-ECommerce-Convers...

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Nik
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Nik
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Taavi - is there a simpler way to do it? I thought about adding a required step in the funnel that contain the domain name (which is basically all the users who didn't enter directly to the TY page) but it doesn't work for some reason.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Nik, I know another solution as well but it's even more complicated. I think it's technically the easiest one.

Cheers,

Taavi

Nik
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Nik
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks @Taavi - I try to avoid it as I have a lot of thank you pages... why do you think adding a required step to the funnel of the goal won't solve the issue?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Nik, selecting 'Required Step' on the goal settings page only modifies what you see in the funnel visualization report and you would still see a total number of conversions for visitors.

Let me know if it helps @Nik or if you have any further questions.

Taavi