1.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

eCommerce referral data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi folks,

I've looked all over and I'm yet to find a clear and definitive answer to this question so the community forum is my last chance.

My issue is related to eCommerce tracking and payment providers.

In Google Analytics a large percentage of my sales are being reported as coming from referrals from World Pay and Pay Pal.

These are the two payment processors we use. 

I've read lots on adding these to referral exclusion list in the Admin panel.

As I understand it, the issue is with users being taken offsite to pay and then being sent back to the site whereby a new session is started.

My question is two fold:

1. What is the best way to ensure all sales can be tracked back to the original referrer, specifically when dealing with World Pay and Pay Pal?

2. Am I right in thinking that adding the World Pay and Pay Pal domains to the exclusion list will result in those sales appearing as Direct?

Any insight you can give will be gratefully received! 

Euan

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: eCommerce referral data

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Euan,

Please check your session settings under Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout. If it's set to six months for example, it will take six months for all the self referrals to disappear.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Euan,

The best way is adding the payment provider's domain to the referral exclusion list.
Once added to the Referral exclusion list the sales will be attributed to the correct channel, because no new session is triggered, they will have the original referrer.

The referral exclusion list does not work for traffic that is already cookied. So if a returning visitor had a referral source set before you added it to the list and then visits as direct, they will still have that referral source. Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the reply.

If no new session is triggered but the user goes off the site and then comes back, how does Google Analytics know not add this into (Direct/None)?

If NO referrer data is coming back with the visitor from the payment provider surely that will appear as (Direct/None) as the source of the sale?

That's the bit that is confusing me!

Euan

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Euan,

Google Analytics stores the referrer among the other details and it associates it with the user based on the cid value stored in a cookie. So if no new session is triggered the user will still have the same cid value in their cookie and Google Analytics will know the referrer and it will attribute the purchase to it. A direct visit will not overwrite a referral. Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the explanation Arnold.

Appreciate that this won't work for previously cookied users but after adding the domains to the referrer exclusion list, I still see them coming through in eComm reports and there hasn't been a noticeable drop off after it being in place for two weeks.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Euan,

Please check your session settings under Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout. If it's set to six months for example, it will take six months for all the self referrals to disappear.