Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

count a destination URL Goal only once

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've setup several goals for a website I'm managing and I was wondering if there's a way to avoid counting the same destination URL more than once.

For instance, I'm tracking the number of users who registered on my website. To track this goal I've put as a destination URL all the URLs that start with (.../web/signinConfirm?signinToken=...), i.e. the final URL the user reaches when a registration is confirmed.

There's a unique token for each user when confirming registration of course (so the theoretical assumption is that I provide X different URLs for X users), but on my goals the same URL shows up more than 1 (even 5, 6 or 18 times Smiley Very Happy). This shouldn't happen unless a user goes on that URL in separate sessions (which is unlikely, but who knows).

I was wondering if is there's a way to avoid counting this "repetitions" at all on the Goals reports?

Thank you!
S

1 Expert replyverified_user

count a destination URL Goal only once

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Stefano,

Interesting.... By default goals can only happen once per SESSION.   A user could of course return to the same thank you page in a subsequent session as an entrance via bookmark etc. and this would be another conversion.  Look to see if the subsequent goals are entrances.

You could also deploy a workaround that checks for a cookie and if present have the server redirect to a different url or rewrite the URI with GTM. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn