Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Zero goal completions within a custom report, but I know that's not accurate. Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using a custom report to track blog post performance and I've included goal completions and conversion rate metrics in the report table. The report is filtering site content down to just blog content like so:

Filters > Include > Page Path Level 2 > Regex: /blog/|/2012/|/2013/|/2014/|/2015/|/2016/

This is presenting a clean list of only blog content. 

I have multiple goals set up on our site, which include things like blog subscription, content download events and various conversion forms. 

When reviewing my conversion reports, specifically the Reverse Goal Path report, I can clearly see that visits to blog posts are resulting in goal completions. But in my custom report, the goal completions column is showing a big goose egg. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. 

HELP!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Zero goal completions within a custom report, but I know that's not accurate. Help!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
This is likely a hit vs session problem. The page-level filtering causes only certain hits of a session to be included, and some of the session-level metrics get tied to the first hit of the session. By excluding that first hit, you prevent the session-level metrics from being included in the report. Try using a segment instead of a filter. It will include other pages, but also include all of the session metrics.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Zero goal completions within a custom report, but I know that's not accurate. Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Mike... Still stumped. Your hunch was correct. I tested using segments that narrow all visitors down to either 1) visitors who landed on a blog post or 2) visitors who viewed a blog post at some point in their session. The result - I now see conversions. But this doesn't really get me any closer to my desired report.

My issues:
1) The previous page-level filtering gave me a clean report with most of the other metrics that I need (total blog pageviews, time on site, average pages per session, etc.). I might have to just keep that one to pull those metrics.
2) The segment-based approach doesn't give me any sort of attribution connection to the number of goal completions that each blog post might have helped instigate.

Are there any other methods/reports (canned or custom) that might at least help me attribute goal completions to individual blog posts? I have to believe there is a way. The social reports include "assisted conversion". Is there anything like that for web page content?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brody D
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I suspect you have multi-step goals (funnels). They are session-based. If you had a simple destination goal, it would probably work like you want.

You can also look at Goal Completion Location with Goal Completions. Doesn't give you the other metrics, but might be better than a session-based approach.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, some of my goals utilize funnels.

I tinkered with the Reverse Goal Path report and added a filter to narrow "Goal Previous Step 1" down with a regex: /blog/|/2012/|/2013/|/2014/|/2015/|/2016/

Looks like this will allow me to tally blog subscriptions and embedded content download conversions. Not the whole story, but it's something.

Thanks for digging in with me, Mike.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
FYI - an aside -- change your regex pattern to /blog/|/20??/ so you aren't surprised at the end of the year (2017 starts) when it stops working like it used to.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
NICE! Still learning over here...Smiley Wink Thanks Mike!