Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Worldpay Referral Traffic Issue

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi experts!

One of my AdWords clients is having an issue with reporting in Analytics. They are using a WorldPay payment gateway, and a huge proportion of the transactions are being attributed to Referral as a source... instead of organic or ppc. 

They do have a checkout confirmation page, but because the user is taken away and then back again by WorldPay... I don't know if there is a solution. I'm really hoping there is!

Is there no way of maintaining the session data/cookie so we can track when they get back to the confirmation page? We are using Universal Analytics. 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

Has WorldPay been added to the Referral Exclusion List?
It wont help for visits already tagged as being refereed from WorldPay, however for new site traffic and returning visitors that come back via a different campaign or clear their cookies and come back via a different method,

then over time visitors seeming to be referred by WorldPay will start to fade out

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Won't that just exclude WorldPay referrals? I need the traffic to be correctly attributed to the source it came from ... I image through a code on the checkout page which they land on after going to WorldPay?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No it doesnt exclude WorldPay referrals..
What it does is it changes WorldPay from being a referrer to being a direct visit.

Being a direct visit and that the visitor does not leave the site for more than 30mins,

means the original current session continues and remains attributed to the source it

came from instead of the source changing and mistakenly being attributed

to WorldPay when they get returned to the site from WorldPay

The same is done for Paypal and other payment gateways too.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I see! That's great thanks so much!

I have found an article on how to do this - but for completion of this thread and to double check could you describe how to implement this is GA? 

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Abbie, 

If you add this to the referral exclusion list, then WorldPay will start slowly to go to the right channel instead of referral, this can take some time adjust though i.e. a couple of weeks, but your data will slowly get more accurate.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abbie R
July

Re: Worldpay Referral Traffic Issue

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Abbie R :-)

It needs to be added to the Property's Referral Exclusion List

adding worldpay.com will also automatically cover any of its subdomains too

rel.png

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Why does it take so long? It doesn't work like a filter then?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

No, its not like a filter. 
A filter changes how data is sent into the reports once the hits have already been sent to and processed by Google.

This changes the source/medium for the sites on the referral exclusion list.
the ppl that have already been mistakenly tracked as referrals from WorldPay, will continue to be seen as referrals from WorldPay..until such times as

- they clear their cookies,

- or the campaign cookies expires (default is 6mo),

- or they come back to the main site again via a different campaign or referral

This will work immediately for all new visitors going forward.. and over time, the above will apply to returning visitors so you eventually do not end up with the missing/wrongly attributed data occuring.

You could create a new View and add a filters to change the source/medium info for WorldPay.com.

Keep in mind though, filters are not retroactive re historical data, a new or copied View will not populate with historical data and the filter only changes the data in the reports, it does not change the visitors actual cookie's - source/medium