Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Why is it possible to create Enhanced eCommerce steps per view?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all.

There is something I don't really understand. When setting up enhanced ecommerce on a view you can specify which steps it contains:

For example; 1 is Review Cart, 2 is Collect Payment Info, 3 Confirm, 4 Receipt, etc.

But when you report this data, the checkout steps, for example via the JavaScript library you basically just send the step indexes; 1, 2, 3, or 4.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce#measurin...

So my question is; Why is it possible to create multiple views, all have enhacned ecommerce enabled, but they have different number of steps. For example, view 1 might have 4, but view 2 might have 20 steps.

As far as I can see, when you report the checkout steps (1-n) you can't specify which "view" it belongs to, so why are we able to create different views that has different number of steps?

(Or is there a way to have multiple ecommerce checkout flows; one has 4 steps, and the other has 20, and differentiate this when sending the data?)

Any feedback is appreciated!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

There would be many reasons. One example is a site running different language versions where you'd set up a view for each language with localized labels in the funnel for local marketing teams. The checkout flow might even be different in order or length from language to language in which case you'd need that ability.

Both of those examples would not be possible to implement if you weren't able to define the funnel on a per view basis (unless you use Analytics 360 in which case you could setup multiple custom funnels on the same view).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Heya.

You wrote:

> The checkout flow [...] or length from language to language

With "length", do you mean steps? Because all views share the same data right?

So it seems strange that if one view has 4 steps and the other has 8 steps.

Step 1 on one view might be "user login" on the view that has 8 steps, but the other view the first step might be "confirm address" in the view that has 4 steps - in theory.

But since its shared data, its strange to report steps 4-8 if certain views only show 1-4, etc. Hope you understand me.

Since, as far as i know, you can't have multiple ecommerce flows in a single GA account.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

> With "length", do you mean steps? Because all views share the same data right?

Yes, I mean the number of steps. And no, views don't share data per se - they kind of inherit data from the property and will only include data as defined by any filters on each view.

> So it seems strange that if one view has 4 steps and the other has 8 steps.

Yes, I'm just saying that it's possible and also meaningful in certain circumstances depending on what you want to do.

> Since, as far as i know, you can't have multiple ecommerce flows in a single GA account.

A GA Account has nothing to do with funnel definitions. Funnels are setup on view level and as such, you can have many funnels on one account, but only one per view. Unless you have Analytics 360 in which case, you can setup multiple custom funnels on a single view.