Analytics
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Why is Goal conversion for signup is based on sessions and not users?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, 

I have setup my Goal for Registration in which I put the URL of my activation 

/accounts/activate/complete/

This Url got 2354 unique pageviews , so i know how many people signup. 

So here are my stats for last month : 

• Sessions: 29,346
  • Users: 12,902
  • Goal activation : 2,354 - which is correct  
  • Goal conversion rate : 8.02 %

As you can see the Goal conversion rate is (2354 / 29,346) number of people of completed based on the number of sessions. 

But why is the conversion rate for signup is automatically bases on sessions and not users? 

Unlike other conversion goal like purchasing which can happen in multiple sessions, User Activation can only happen once , so the real conversion should be (2354 / 12902) which is 18%. 

am i wrong ? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tal B
February 2017

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I prefer using calculated metrics and user-based conversion rate in Google Analytics as much as possible. @Ritwik B already mentioned how you can configure this as well.

I would say that conversion rate per user helps you get the closest to the “true” conversion rate and it's smart to compare this metric to the session-based conversion rate.

Sure, conversion rate per user is higher than the inferior one. This is simply because not everyone converts on the first visit. 

Avinash has said well: "Session-based conversion rate is the one night stand version."

Recommend reading this article.

@Joshua R did a great job describing this metric as well. Let's be honest, there's no one universal truth. Smiley Happy

@Tal B I think the most important thing here is that you really know that conversion rate by default is a session-based metric. A lot of people don't know that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Taavi

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Tal, 

Most of Analytics is based around sessions, not users. The reason behind this is that Google doesn't want you to start thinking that a user, even what it might count as a unique user is represents individuals. There's many reasons behind this:
(a) A visitor may be counted as a 'user' multiple times for any of a dozen reasons. 

(b) Unless you have User ID tracking inserted Analytics looks at users as 'client IDs' meaning that platforms used by multiple people would only be counted as a single user. 

So in short Tal, yes I can understand why you would want to calculated conv. rate based on users but this is not how Google does it. BUT, you're always free to do this yourself! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Tal B ,

For the same reasons, google has introduced calculated metrics to derive your own metrics. You can set it up (Goals/Users) and use it in custom reports.

Thanks,
Ritwik 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Joshua R  @Ritwik B

I agree if the conversion was for a payment, because if I can purchase many times throughout the day in different sessions, then every session is like a new user. 

But if a user can signup once, then If had 10 sessions on a single day until I have signup , 9 out of 10 sessions are just false data which lowers the conversion rate. 

I agree with all of what you said , except this specific conversion. I am just curious also to what other people mean when say save conversion , (per user , per session) , its very confusing ... 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tal B
February 2017

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I prefer using calculated metrics and user-based conversion rate in Google Analytics as much as possible. @Ritwik B already mentioned how you can configure this as well.

I would say that conversion rate per user helps you get the closest to the “true” conversion rate and it's smart to compare this metric to the session-based conversion rate.

Sure, conversion rate per user is higher than the inferior one. This is simply because not everyone converts on the first visit. 

Avinash has said well: "Session-based conversion rate is the one night stand version."

Recommend reading this article.

@Joshua R did a great job describing this metric as well. Let's be honest, there's no one universal truth. Smiley Happy

@Tal B I think the most important thing here is that you really know that conversion rate by default is a session-based metric. A lot of people don't know that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Taavi