AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Why does graph show incorrect Goal Conversion % ?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Google's Forum keeps giving me an "illegal html" error when I try to add this screenshot.

So, here's a link to screenshot

Why does the graph at the top show 2.7%  but the true goal completion is 17%

How is that 2.7% calculated?

Is that % of TOTAL visitors to my website?

If so, is there a way to view the % of sessions that *started* in the funnel? (I'd like to see if the funnel has improved over time)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why does graph show incorrect Goal Conversion % ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi these are 2 different metrics:
1. Goal conversion rate - rate at which the goal was completed (goal conversion rate = goal completions / sessions)
2. Funnel conversion rate - rate at which the funnel was successfully completed (note that with required 1st step only the sessions in funnel which started with the 1st step are taken into consideration) - required 1st step and funnel by itself does not affect a goal to be completed it just affects funnel visualization

Hope it helps.

More info here: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/conversion-funnel-survival-guide/

Kind regards,
Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net