Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Why do my goal conversions and segment sequences not add up?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

I'm trying to track track the number of session that included views of product A and product B in a given time frame.

I've created two goals:

Goal 1 = Designation page includes product a

Goal 2 = Destination page includes product b

To view the number of sessions that included both goals, I simply created a new segment > Sequences.

Step 1 = Goal 1 completion per session = 1

is followed by

Step 2 = Goal 2 completion per session =1

I get a number and I'm happy with it.

I then wanted to check the above figure by repeating the sequence but without goals and rather simply looking at

sequence page contacts product a

and

page contains product b

The second set of stats do not match.

Is there any reasons this would be the case? I'd have thought I was measuring the same thing.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

J

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why do my goal conversions and segment sequences not add up?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

just to make sure your second segment is
Step 1 = Page contains /product-a
is followed by
Step 2 = Page contains /product-b

What is the difference? huge? some?

Most likely this is somehow related to this:
"When you include multiple steps in a Sequences filter, you can specify that one step follows another anytime or immediately. The subsequent step can occur in the same session or in a subsequent session."

So check if your Segment is using is followed by / is immediately followed by
If it is followed by then second segment includes users that visited A in 1st session and B in 2nd session while the first one restricts things happening in one session.
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Antii. Thanks for the reply. To clarify, GA does NOT offer those options ('followed by or immediately followed by') for 'Page' sequencing. I only saw that option for 'goals' sequences.

My actually objective is to show sessions that included views of both pages. Within that session, it's possible a visitor looked at 'product A' then 'contact us' then 'product B'. I'd like include these session in my count.

For 'Page' sequencing, the only option I have is Sequence start 'Any user interaction' or 'first user interaction'.

Does that clarify at all?

J

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hmm..

between STEP 1 and 2 there is a dropdown: is followed by / immediately... regardless what metric or dimension I choose.
https://i.imgur.com/H0qDq8p.png

But if you wish to see all the sessions that includes viewing both of those pages and not in particular order I would just use a simple Advanced segment
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Antii.I think I know what happened.

if you click 'Add step', the Followed by or immediate followed by is shown. If after Step one you click 'AND', it isn't shown!

Silly me.

Are you saying that 'is immediately followed by' is the only way to view two pages in a session? or will this only show session where one page was viewed directly after the first?

Does ''is followed by' not constrain to one session?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Yes. That is how I interpreted the quote from Google Support Docs.
Immediately means that both of your conditions needs to be met within same session.
If you do not specify followed immediately user will be counted to that segment if he completes the second step eventually.

When you click AND it means that to qualify for STEP one user must fulfill your both conditions. Between steps you still have to specify if
you allow the sequence span over multiple sessions.

I have not used sequences that much myself. It seems that this one of those areas where one needs to travel carefully in order to be sure one gets what one wanted .

Thank you for reaching out, hopefully you got what you were after, if not we will continue Smiley Happy
--

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am also facing the same issue! I have 4 steps in my goal, I am breaking the steps into 4 parts in the segment (segments: "A followed by B", "B followed by C", "C followed by D", "A followed by B followed by C followed by D"). When I look at the output the sessions of the segments are not matching with the funnel visualization report.
Note: there is no sampling or the confusion of immediately followed by. I tried both immediately followed by & just followed by, the numbers don't match