AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Where did the buyer come from?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dommmmm
January 2016

Re: Where did the buyer come from?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

You need to add paypal.com to the referral exclusion list in Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info in order to prevent paypal from triggering a new session. This works only for the future data and returning users who had paypal set as their traffic source will still have that source set when they come back as direct. It depends on your session setting how long you'll see paypal as referral, check your session settings in Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout. If it's set to 3 months it will take 3 months for the self referrals to disappear.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dommmmm
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

You need to add paypal.com to the referral exclusion list in Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info in order to prevent paypal from triggering a new session. This works only for the future data and returning users who had paypal set as their traffic source will still have that source set when they come back as direct. It depends on your session setting how long you'll see paypal as referral, check your session settings in Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout. If it's set to 3 months it will take 3 months for the self referrals to disappear.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey, I did that, does that mean that future orders will show ref traffic as actual sites and / or organic search (keyword)?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes, new orders will be attributed correctly except for returning users who have paypal set as their source and they come back as direct as I mentioned above.

Regarding the organic search keywords please check the article below.

https://www.optimizesmart.com/optimize-organic-search-campaigns-keyword-referral-data/