Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Whats the difference between Google Analytics "Transactions' and "GOal Set'

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I know this is a basic question, but becuase for some time the tracking with "Google Shopping' hasn't been working, and I driving myself nuts with trying to find a solution!! 

I have been working through various issues on the site. 

Now when I check in Google Analytics, there appears to be no 'Goals Conversions'!  We have it set on success page of the website. So I look and think...still not fixed!! 

But then I check in 'Acquistion/Channels' - Conversions/E-Commerce and tehre is a lot of data Smiley Happy   And to me it looks like the correct data

I have used the Secondary Dimonsion of "Sales ID' ( I still need to check if all sales orders are there -  but I am hopeful Smiley Happy )

So my question is two fold

1) What is the difference between goals and transactions?

2) If Transactions are showing me 'conversion' data ie where the visit comes from, what channel, what sessions etc. 

The do I really need 'Goal Set Conversion' ?

Many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Transactions are ecommerce sales. Goals can be whatever you want - A view of a page, X number of page views, X time on site, etc., etc.

2) If Transactions are showing me 'conversion' data ie where the visit comes from, what channel, what sessions etc.

You can see ecommerce data at many different levels... I'm not quite sure what your question is...

No. If ecommerce data is reporting and it's accurate, then you don't need any goals.

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Transactions are ecommerce sales. Goals can be whatever you want - A view of a page, X number of page views, X time on site, etc., etc.

You can see ecommerce data at many different levels... I'm not quite sure what your question is...

No. If ecommerce data is reporting and it's accurate, then you don't need any goals.

Tom