Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

What is the direct portion when viewing traffic?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the "direct" portion means when viewing traffic? Also, is there a pdf or guide I can download that contains the GA manual? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aurora A
February 2016

Re: What is the direct portion when viewing traffic?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
It means that Google Analytics can't attribute the traffic to a campaign, search or referral source. It used to be as simple as they typed in the URL directly, but it has become more complicated over time and could be a number of reasons.
No manual to download. The best training source is the online Analytics Academy and videos.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aurora A
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
It means that Google Analytics can't attribute the traffic to a campaign, search or referral source. It used to be as simple as they typed in the URL directly, but it has become more complicated over time and could be a number of reasons.
No manual to download. The best training source is the online Analytics Academy and videos.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Aurora,

direct traffic can, like Mike said, come from URLs directly typed into the browser address bar. Other direct traffic can come from e.g. clicks on links in files (e.g. pdf/doc/ppt) or from bookmarks or from links clicked in an email software (e.g. outlook). Additionally they can come from some apps, which do not send a referral information, or from links published on a https website and link to a http website. Those are only a view possibilities. I assume there are some more situations where you do not exactly will know the original source of the link.

Bye. Nils.