AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

What is considered a bounce?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know it has something to do with a person "not interacting" with the page they are at. So are any of these scenarios considered a bounce?

1) a person lands on your homepage, scrolls around and stays there for 3 minutes until the person exits.

2) a person lands on your homepage, stays on it for 1.5 minutes, clicks on another page, stays there for another 2 minutes, then leaves.

What will they look at on my stats? I had to ask because I saw a plugin stating that these two are bounces. 

https://wordpress.org/plugins/reduce-bounce-rate/

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aurora A
January 2016

Re: What is considered a bounce?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
In scenario 1, time on page and time on site is 0. In 2, time on page 1 and time on site is 1.5 minutes, time on page 2 is 0.

The plugin you identified 'pings' the GA server every 10 seconds, which will let the time on page number be more accurate, for that last page viewed.

Caution: sending hits every 10 seconds for every user can add a lot of hits to your analytics account. Exceed 500,000 in any given reporting period and sampling will become a problem, affecting ALL of your metrics.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aurora A
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
In scenario 1, time on page and time on site is 0. In 2, time on page 1 and time on site is 1.5 minutes, time on page 2 is 0.

The plugin you identified 'pings' the GA server every 10 seconds, which will let the time on page number be more accurate, for that last page viewed.

Caution: sending hits every 10 seconds for every user can add a lot of hits to your analytics account. Exceed 500,000 in any given reporting period and sampling will become a problem, affecting ALL of your metrics.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So on scenario 1, would that be a bounce?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes....the landing page is the exit page, and there is a total of 1 'interaction' hit (pageview) in the session. It is a bounce.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

true.jpg

I guess my real question is: is this claim correct? I was trying to figure out if this plugin is beneficial. Sorry, I really wanted to figure out everything behind it first. I thought I can analyze this but I still don't understand it as well as I'd hope. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Yes, the claim is correct. If there is no second Google Analytics interaction (another pageview or event), then time on page is 0. If they only visit one page, the session duration is 0, and the visit is a bounce.

With the plugin, it probably sends non-interaction events to Google Analytics every 10 seconds. Time on Page and Session Duration will now reflect the time between the initial landing and the last event recorded.