AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

What is an appropriate naming convention for Event Categories?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm wondering what the right naming convention for an Event Category should be. Suppose I have the following three pages related to subscribing for a SaaS product:

1. Pick a Plan: Allows user to select a subscription plan

2. Checkout: Allows user to purchase plan with credit card

3. Manage Account: Allows user to cancel subscription

On each of these pages, I'm recording specific event actions (e.g. "Clicked plan option", "Purchased subscription", "Cancelled subscription"). In the past, I have use the page name for the Event Category (e.g. "Pick a Plan", "Checkout", "Manage Account").

Should I be grouping these events under a single "topical category" instead, such as "Subscriptions"?

GA already captures the URL as a dimension, so I would always have that if I wanted to look at the event actions by page. Furthermore, should any of these events occur on a new page in the future (e.g. "Clicked plan option" on a new Marketing Landing Page), I would still have the event classified under the "Subscriptions" category.

What are your thoughts on this? Any pros or cons of doing it one way over the other?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is an appropriate naming convention for Event Categories?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ralph,

That's completely up to you. Set up your event naming as it serves to your needs in reporting. Actually, category/action/label is just a set of hierarchically ordered label entities. It doesn't matter if the top label is actually a category or anything else ...

Christoph