AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Want to add Google Tracking Code to Word Press Site, Can't Seem to Find Out How To Get Code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am going nuts.  Have a number of Word Press Websites and most are verified. Trying to add a new one and can't seem to figure out how to get the code to verify the property.  I can't add the code to every page in a WordPress blog site, just looking for the simple code that should look like this example:

<meta name='google-site-verification' content='dBw5CvburAxi537Rp9qi5uG2174Vb6JwHwIRwPSLIK8'>

Can't seem to find it and I have gone everywhere through my account from the Verify site ownership page to others. The site is showing up on my account page on Google, but can't seem to get the code I need. I understand that on a WP site it is not even necessary to do this, but in my "Tools" on the site it does ask for this code.  Easier to find with Bing, but impossible to find on Google.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Want to add Google Tracking Code to Word Press Site, Can't Seem to Find Out How To Get Code

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, welcome to the google analytics advertiser community.

You need to verify both the www and non-www version of the domain names. Probably easier to verify the non-www version first as www is a subdomain of that.

Choose Alternate Method and then select HTML tag.. that will give you the necessary meta tag similar to the one you posted above.

If you have google analytics installed correctly then you can instead choose the Google Analytics method for verification

alternate-verify.jpg

Where/how you add the meta tag to your wordpress site would depend on your theme or child theme. If it offers an option for adding scripts to the head section of your website then use that option, otherwise it needs to be put in the active themes header.php file.

For further help with Site Verification, Search Console or SEO related questions, the Webmaster Central Help Forum would be the best place to ask:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here