Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Visit path before / after logging in

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I have been trying to track the user's visit path on a website after they click through from a hyperlink with utm parameters inside an eDM.
However, the website requires users to login before viewing any page, so if a user click on the links to the content pages, that user will be re-directed to the login page.
I would like to know if the visit path tracking before/after the user logging in will be blocked by the re-directing action? If so, any feasible way to keep the tracking?
I am pretty sure that a lot of websites have the same issue so I think this is an easy question for many of you.
Thank you in advance!

David

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David T
August 2016

Re: Visit path before / after logging in

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
IT depends on whether you capture that first hit on the page with the UTM parameters. If you do capture it before the redirect, then you have started the session with the source intact. After that, all bets are off.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I would think it depends on how you perform the auto-redirect, and whether the original URL parameters are stripped off or passed on to the login page.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the reply. Some clarifications to illustrate my situation:

Users clicked "www.google.com/article1/?utm_source=edm" on an eDM
-> He is then auto-directed to "www.google.com/login", utm parameters are lost
--> He logged in and auto-directed to "www.google.com/homepage" instead of "www.google.com/article1"
---> He browsed the "www.google.com/article1" manually

After the above actions, will I still be able to find the visitors' path of those traffic from the eDM?

Many thanks,
David

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David T
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
IT depends on whether you capture that first hit on the page with the UTM parameters. If you do capture it before the redirect, then you have started the session with the source intact. After that, all bets are off.