2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Vanity URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a vanity URL (www.productname.com) that 301 redirects to our company name (www.company.com/product).

We are running several campaigns with several sources and mediums (email, newsletters, adwords, etc.) that drive traffic to the vanity URL.  We're using UTM parameters on all the sources/mediums, and want to track accordingly.  

Since there is a redirect in place, will GA attribute the traffic properly?  An agency I'm dealing with has suggested we need UTM tagging on the vanity URL itself, (e.g., www.productname.com?utm_medium=301), but wouldn't this overwrite the original campaign medium (eg., email, etc.)?

In other words, can I track the campaigns via GA without the need to add parameters to the vanity URL?

Campaign -> Vanity URL -> Destination URL.  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Vanity URL

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hey there,

UTM tags are a good way of consolidating multiple traffic sources under single channels which is why it'll be good to use it. However, the same can be taken care of through Channel definitions so you don't have to rely on UTM tags.

However, I believe you're more interested in not clouding the vanity URL with utm tags.
1) For AdWords it shouldn't be a problem and you can use autotagging.
2) For other sources it will be an issue.
- You could try cross domain tracking as long as the analytics pageview code fires for the vanity URL before the redirect occurs.
- You could also save yourself a lot of hassle here by using subdomains instead of completely different vanity URLs eg. productname.companyname.com - This wouldn't require cross domain tracking as it's inbuilt for subdomains with the Universal Analytics code. It'll also preserve the source because you're sending traffic to the same domain name.

Cheers,
Arjun