AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Using transaction data for Goal Value

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to use our Ecommerce data to assign values to a GA Goal setup for transactions.

There appears to be a contradiction here, unless I'm missing something:

Goal Value setting

The note underneath states:
Assign a monetary value to the conversion. Learn more about Goal Values. For a transaction, leave this blank and use Ecommerce tracking and reports to see Revenue. Learn more about Ecommerce Transactions.

When I try to leave the value blank, I get a red error message telling me to enter a number. I thought I could leave this blank?

We get transactions at varying values so I cannot enter a number, and turning the value off means we get no value at all for this Goal.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using transaction data for Goal Value

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi marketing m,

In a lot of Analytics metrics using a currency, goal values and ecommerce revenues are summed up to facilitate reporting metrics. So, do use goal values if you don't have ecommerce tracking. And don't use goal values if you have ecommerce tracking to avoid double counting. Just turn off the goal value here - it won't affect your ecommerce revenues.

Christoph