Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Using Referral Exclusion on Shopify + Include Hostname Spam Filter

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Good morning everyone,

I am configuring Google Analytics for a client setting up a Shopify store. Shopify's Google Analytics documentation (and Google's) describes the need for setting up referral exclusions. I was hoping someone could unpack why I should exclude my client's domain when excluding checkout.shopify.com. Does this have something to do with keeping bounce/exit page counts clean?

I also want to know if this could impact my use of an 'include hostname' filter for prevention of spam traffic on my primary reporting view.

Thanks for your help!

K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kevin T
June 2016

Re: Using Referral Exclusion on Shopify + Include Hostname Spam Filter

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kevin,

This is to prevent self-referrals. The same way that you don't want your payment gateway showing up as a source/medium in your ecommerce reports, you don't want to have to explain to a client how $10,000 of sales came from...err...their own site!

It's standard practise to exclude referrals from your own site so you get the actual campaign or other channel that brought in the traffic.

Ali

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kevin T
June 2016

Re: Using Referral Exclusion on Shopify + Include Hostname Spam Filter

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kevin,

This is to prevent self-referrals. The same way that you don't want your payment gateway showing up as a source/medium in your ecommerce reports, you don't want to have to explain to a client how $10,000 of sales came from...err...their own site!

It's standard practise to exclude referrals from your own site so you get the actual campaign or other channel that brought in the traffic.

Ali

Re: Using Referral Exclusion on Shopify Include Hostname Spam Filter

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks! This is really helpful!

What are your thoughts about potential interactions between referral
exclusion and hostname filters?

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. This is done in order to protect account security and/or privacy. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies. Thank you for your understanding.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
also... what about www.domain.com and domain.com, should I include both as referral exclusions?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kevin,

An interesting point! Luckily referral data is passed in the HTTP header when you connect to any website which means it's the very first thing your analytics can look at, so imagine referrer exclusion list as being the first condition on your filter - it'll be applied right at the start.

If you used a filter and had a few things before it, it would skim away at all the traffic until it got to that point.

Ali

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kevin,

Normally http://domain.com would redirect to http://www.domain.com so in most cases just domain.com would work, but it can depend on the how the site is set up.

Ali

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks! This is super helpful! My husband who does .NET dev, helped me unpack your response a bit more and he commented that your response was very well thought out.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Happy to hear I could help! Smiley Happy

Ali

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
BTW, I found this article with an interesting filtering approach to dealing with Shopify's use of a 3rd party payment gateway.

https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-analytics-and-shopify-for-splendid-data

What do you think?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey!

I don't typically deal with Shopify but this seems to be a good checklist for a standard implementation that should be followed, although using Google Tag Manager certainly helps a LOT with most of this

Ali