AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Use sales staff email addresses as the Event Label on mailto click event

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The company that I work for has its sales staff work email addresses listed on the website. I want to track clicks on these mailto links and pass through the email address as the Event Label however these email addresses contain the names of the sales staff members (e.g. staff-members-name@company.com). I want to confirm if this is a breach of the Google privacy and security policy?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

I dont work for Google, nor am I a legal person, so I'm simply giving my personal opinion.
Myself, i don't see that tracking the mailto sales staff email address as a breach of Google privacy policy, 

reason being, is it is not containing/tracking the site visitor personal information

it is tracking a sales staff work email address available to the public via the website.. 

if you were tracking the the name, email address or some other type of information that could identify the

site visitor contacting the sales staff.. then that would be a completely different matter

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn V,

Thank you for your reply.