2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

UTMs are not accurate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using Marketo and religiously tagging my links with UTMs. However, every time I'm measuring the success in Google Analytics, I see many clicks are missing. I know that campaigns in Google Analytics are measuring sessions and not clicks, however it still a very big gap and it happens with all of my campaigns!

In example, in Marketo I see 300 unique clicks on a link and in Google Analytics only shows 120.

I checked with Marketo professional and there is no problems with the way I created the UTMs nor the Marketo program.

I also checked my Google Analytics non-filtered view (raw data) and from there too I see only 135... still not 300. Again, it happens with all of my campaigns.

What could be the problem?

Re: UTMs are not accurate?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
There isn't direct way to measure this kind of discrepancy in data and also it's not good practice/recommanded to compare any two analytics tools.

Every tools has it's own way of measuring the sessions, here is the link to understand how GA measures sessions.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en

Here are few points to check

> Check the Ideal session time out in Marketo, is it 30 min. GA will consider by default 30 min.
> If Marketo measures the clicks and not the sessions, then Yes, there is possibility of this kind of discrepancy.
> Is there any possibility of identifying the BOT/Crawler traffic in Marketo? These will be filtered in GA if you 'CHECK' the option to FILTER traffic from know BOTs.

Hope this helps..

Sam