Analytics
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

UTMV Campaign time out setting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm currently running a display campaign using a DSP and using DCM as my adserver. The campaign has two targeting lines - one for prospecting new users, one for retargeting the users who have been to the seen after being exposed to an ad in my prospecting line.

The site has all tags inside google tag manager, analytics premium has recently being installed.

The cookie lengths on the DSP and DCM are aligned perfectly - 30 days posts click and 14 day post view. Google windows are still set to their defaults.

The issue I'm having is when i look at 1st, 2nd, 3rd interaction conversions - over 70% of my conversions are 1st interaction retargeting conversions which is impossible given my prospecting line must have dropped a cookie (expected 1st interaction) for the user to then be retargeted (expected 2nd interaction at the earliest).

My assumption to why this is happening is because the __utmv parameter for campaign cookie lengths is still set to the default two period and therefore can't count first, second and last interactions because it's length is too long. My thinking at moment is to shorten it to match DCM's lengths of 30 days to make it accurate and to be able to do this type of analysis.

The community's opinion will be very very welcome. I realise it's not a pure analytics questions as it involves tag manager and DCM. Also, as part of the trouble shooting, I've double and triple checked that the campaign set up on the DSP is correct and it is - prospecting is prospecting and retargeting is retargeting - no mixed up tags.

Thanks in advance.

Marco

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: UTMV Campaign time out setting

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Marco,

Thanks for posting on the Community. I’m going to look into this for you and update this thread when I have more information for you.

Krisha

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Marco,

Unfortunately, this is outside our team's scope of support but I can refer you to a team which specializes with DCM. You may contact them directly at dcm-support@google.com for assistance.

If you have specific concerns about your Google Analytics Premium account, we would be glad to help.

Thanks,
Krisha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Krishna,

Thanks for the reply.

I've had a call with both our analytics and dcm reps on the phone with this
issue and neither of them know what each other do?
DCM and Analytics are google products but no-one I've dealt with so far has
an over view of how these two things work together.. I find that hard to
believe.. particularly from the analytics team as integration is one of
Google major USP's for clients jumping onto your stack?

It's really frustrating which is why i jumped onto this forum hoping
someone else would be able to help.

I do appreciate the reply though.

Many thanks,

Marco