7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

UTM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How can use a UTM code for Google Analytics with Direct Mail? We have a client who is starting a campaign and they want to track who clicks on a link that brings them to a certain website? Theres button A and Button B...do you just add the UTM code as an ahref to the button? They just want to track who clicks what button and takes them to which site.

Re: UTM

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not sure if I understand correctly...Does your client own websiteA.com and the destination URL is to websiteA.com, or the destination website is owned by others like websiteB.com?

If it's the first case, simply append utm codes to the url of those links.
If it's the second case, the problem is that your client's GA tracking code only lives on websiteA.com so the visitors to websiteB.com won't be tracked. One solution is to change links in the email campaign to to websiteA.com/TempPageToWebsiteB/?utm_medium=email&......, set it up as a blank page and redirect to websiteB.com automatically. Make sure the ga code snippet is executed before the redirect action, ideally both on the server side.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
so basically the client has a web address set up as www.mywebsite.com/NewPage and sub directory in web addresses are case sensitive and so when someone clicks the link, they want 301 redirect to go that link above or if someone types that web address in browser all lower case it still redirects them still to that address above mention and they will have links in there email set up as buttons that will link to that address, but there will be two buttons in the email with two separate address linking to above address...just wondering how do i seet up the UTM for links

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Mike, thanks for the clarification!
Also thanks to god what you described is the first case :-)

You can simply set up links as below:
Button A Link:
www.mywebsite.com/NewPage/?utm_source=mynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=ButtonA&utm_campaign=NewPageTwoButtonsCampaign

Button B Link:
www.mywebsite.com/NewPage/?utm_source=mynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=ButtonB&utm_campaign=NewPageTwoButtonsCampaign

This is just my recommendation and you can customize parameters (in blue) as you want.

For reports, you can go to "Acquisition - Campaigns", find this campaign and set second dimension as content.

Let me know if anything else.

Thanks!

Marko

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
originally I had it has www.mywebsite.com/NewPage and www.mywebsite.com/newpage and just have them add the numbers together with two different sub directories, but they got lazy and just wanted a redirect ,so if someone type the address in lower case or with capitals it would still go to the website, but they just want a redirect to the website regardless of how the sub directory is typed in but also want to track with UTM and see how people get site either typing in the address or through an email

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If people type the address in browser, it's very unlikely they will type the url with those utm parameters, right?
You can create a custom report in GA that grab the visitors from source (direct) and landing page is NewPage (or ever visited NewPage, depending on your client's analytical needs). This should be the other portion of users they wanna analyze.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yeah, so the web address right now is www.mywebsite.com/NewPage, so no one will type the full address with UTM in it, so if I do type is as www.mywebsite.com/newpage, it still redirects me to www.mywebsite.com/NewPage... So I know I have to put the GA in the source code, and the UTM in the buttons I just need to make sure that if that page redirects work and that the GA picks up from direct email and when people visit

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Your current settings should work fine.
Buttons in direct email have url: www.mywebsite.com/NewPage/?utm_........, so GA will pick up everything and report in /NewPage.
People from direct source will be 301 redirected to /NewPage, so they are also tracked as "source=(direct) AND landing page=/NewPage" in GA. Actually because 301 redirect happens on the server side, the user browser never see /newpage and hence there is no way GA attribute to /newpage.

I found a great article below if you want details:
http://www.atlantaanalytics.com/practicing-web-analytics/how-does-google-analytics-handle-301-and-30...

Two suggestions:
1. Confirm with the client team that their 301 redirect preserve tracking parameters. (reasons in the article)
2. (Optional but highly recommend) Add a lowercase filter in GA so you don't need to worry about different cases anymore.

capture.jpg