AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

UTM tracking to Goal Conversion Problem

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi !

I've an issue where the UTM Campaign tracking doesn't appear to be attributed with the Goals I have setup on the site.

For example, I can see that data is being read to the various campaigns (in terms of sessions, bounce rates etc..) but none are showing Goal conversions.  I know that there have been conversions through testing and another tracking method we have.

The Goal conversion is triggered by a GTM event tag.  Can anyone shed some light?

i've attached some pics to illustrate Smiley Happy

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

goal.pnganalyticsscreenshot.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

So you are seeing the events being tracked in the Behaviour > Events report?
Keep in mind too that Goals are not historical, they wont start tracking (going forward) until correctly configured and set to active, and can then take 48hrs to start showing in the standard reports.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn, Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

Yes, Behaviour > Events is tracking the events.

They have been active for a few weeks, see below.  They just don't seem to be attributable to any of the UTM campaign tracking urls. 

Event Category Total Events % Total Events
Category - Gated Content Completions

47.71%

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Given that your Goal ecpected convertion rate is 0.96% it can be just not enough visits to genereate conversions. 

You could check if goal is tracked correctly with by visiting your site with some mock utm tags and triggering your event

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi, thanks for your reply. 

I've tried mock utm values and they are not attributed to the goals.  You would think Analytics should be able to track even the individual goal conversions back to the utm source, regardless of conversion rate.

Can't help thinking its a problem with the Event tracking through Google Tag Manager...

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Source / Medium Attribution is made on Google Analytics server side so it's definitely not GTM issue.

If your tracking is set up properly you could see different sources in your Behavior > events report when using source or source medium as a secondary dimension. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dmitry & Bronwyn,

Thanks so much for your reply's.  I think i've got to the bottom of it by recording the session on Tag Manager Recordings.    

The campaign tracking works fine up until the form is completed. The way the site works is that it opens a new window with the download page to download the asset.  It looks as though the opening of the new window/tab breaks the connection with the Campaign tracking.

Do you guys know anyway round this?  The GA javascript code is on the download page.

Thanks!

S

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

@TotalMobile L,

what is the source/medium for your tracked events? You could see this with Source/medium as secondary dimension in Behaviour > Events report.