2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

UTM tagging question

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am using the URL builder to try and track conversions from a LinkedIn campaign I am running. The reason is that most LinkedIn users are unlikely to convert on the first visit, so I'm trying to track if they are converting at a later stage. My questions are: 

1. If they click on the UTM link, how long do they keep the cookie and therefore how long after the click could a conversion be tracked? 

2. If they do convert later, but re-enter the site through a different channel, would LinkedIn still show as the source? Is there anything I could do about this if not? 

Thanks a lot. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zachary G
February 2017

Re: UTM tagging question

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You were saying if they come later (i.e. Through a different channel) then GA will automatically attribute the later conversion to the last non-direct click channel. 

Yes, that's right, last non-direct attribution model is used if you only look at the regular reports as I mentioned previously. A Multi-Channel Funnels report is not a regular report. Smiley Happy

I'm asking if there's a way to revert this, so if anyone clicks the LinkedIn link and converts at a later time, is there a report or way that I can easily track this conversion, regardless of whether the next time they came through a different channel? 

Yes, you can use Top Conversion Paths, Assisted Conversions and Model Comparison Tool in Google Analytics to figure it out.

Multi-channel Funnels report seems good but perhaps a bit complicated for what I need - I just need to track if anyone who ever clicks one of those links from LinkedIn later converts...

Multi-Channel Funnels -> Assisted Conversions report will give you this answer. It helps you figure out the number of conversions for which this LinkedIn appeared on the conversion path, but was not the final conversion interaction and also the number of conversions for which LinkedIn was the final conversion interaction.

This is not that complicated report and will give you the answer you're looking for. 

Cheers,

Taavi

View solution in original post

UTM tagging question

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zachary,

1) The campaign timeout is 6 months by default (you can change it) in Google Analytics. Keep in mind, Last Non-Direct Click attribution model is the default attribution model in Google Analytics. It means that Google Analytics assigns 100% credit to the last non-direct touchpoints that immediately precede sales or conversions in the regular reports. 

2) You can use Conversions -> Multi-Channel Funnels reports (for example Top Conversion Paths report) to understand how channels interact along a conversion path, and how long it takes for people to buy or convert.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

UTM tagging question

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Taavi,

Thank you very much! And for responding so quickly Smiley Happy

So, I suppose you answered part of 2 in 1, i.e. If I'm looking in a regular conversion report, I won't see the UTM link conversion as coming from LinkedIn if they convert at a later time. 

Is there a way to change this, and which would be the best report to view this info? I'm simply looking for the easiest way to track these LinkedIn versions that happen at a later time than the initial click... 

Thanks again,

Zak

UTM tagging question

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Zak, if you're not seeing "UTM link conversions" as coming from Linkedin in your regular reports then:

1. Most of the visitors who have come from Linkedin have not been interested in your service/product or your landing page is not that relevant (do not match with your ad).

2. Lots of people do not buy immediately during the first visit but they will come back through another channel later and then will buy.

Have you noticed any sessions being attributed to LinkedIn in your reports?

If you'd like to see all the different touchpoints and figure out the impact of Linkedin campaigns, you should take a look at the Multi-Channel Funnels report and Attribution model in Google Analytics. That's the best way you can figure out the impact of LinkedIn campaigns.

Here you can learn more about that:

1) https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1191180?hl=en

2) https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1662518?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Taavi

UTM tagging question

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you again Taavi, although I think there was a bit of miscommunication this time. We've just launched the LinkedIn campaign so it's too early to see anything. 

What I'm looking for is the simplest way to see LinkedIn conversions that might come in at a later time from those who originally clicked the UTM link. 

You were saying if they come later (i.e. Through a different channel) then GA will automatically attribute the later conversion to the last non-direct click channel. 

I'm asking if there's a way to revert this, so if anyone clicks the LinkedIn link and converts at a later time, is there a report or way that I can easily track this conversion, regardless of whether the next time they came through a different channel? 

Multi-channel Funnels report seems good but perhaps a bit complicated for what I need - I just need to track if anyone who ever clicks one of those links from LinkedIn later converts...

Thanks again for your help. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zachary G
February 2017

Re: UTM tagging question

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, that's right, last non-direct attribution model is used if you only look at the regular reports as I mentioned previously. A Multi-Channel Funnels report is not a regular report. Smiley Happy

Yes, you can use Top Conversion Paths, Assisted Conversions and Model Comparison Tool in Google Analytics to figure it out.

Multi-Channel Funnels -> Assisted Conversions report will give you this answer. It helps you figure out the number of conversions for which this LinkedIn appeared on the conversion path, but was not the final conversion interaction and also the number of conversions for which LinkedIn was the final conversion interaction.

This is not that complicated report and will give you the answer you're looking for. 

Cheers,

Taavi

UTM tagging question

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

OK, understood. I will check this out for sure. Thank again Taavi, for the very thorough and helpful reply.