Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

(UTM) Tracking of Newsletters in Google Analytics does not work

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have 2 questions concerning the (UTM) tracking of the newsletters I sent in Google Analytics.

1. I added the following UTM-code to the links in my newsletter: https://www.drsticker.nl/nl/shop/borden-en-panelen/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=testgenya&utm_cont...

Unfortunately, the results are not visible in Google Analytics / Aquisition / All Campaigns. Does anyone know why and how to fix this?

2. Results of previous newsletters can be found in Google Analytics / Aquisition / Source/medium, but the number of orders in GA is incorrect. I saw this in my database because the newsletter-customers used a discount code which was only provided in the newsletter. The number of orders in my database was almost double (e.g. GA said 40 orders and my database 80). How can this be? I really want to fix this because I want to know the value/revenue of my newsletters (especially the ones who don't provide a discount code).

Best,

Genya

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Genya,

I don't see anything wrong with your utm params... are you seeing it in realtime reports?

Regarding your variance on the code vs what's attributed; some folks will not click on your utm link but will go back to the site directly and just use the code and others will share the code.  Also GA handles attribution based upon last click so if a user does click through the email and then clicks on an organic link, you'll see the attribution go to organic. In summary, I'm not that surprised that you have more orders with the code than what you see in GA.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply! It seems to work now. 

Best, Genya