Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

UTM Tracking & Custom Events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This stemmed from a client question. At first, my immediate answer is no. But before I tell the client that, I figured I would see if anyone has come across this situation in the past and/or if they they could recommend an alternative.

The client has created multiple UTM tracking codes for one landing page that they will be promoting through multiple channels. That landing page also has a CTA on it that they would like to add event tracking to and track how many times it gets clicked. They are curious to see if there is a way that we can track how many clicks that CTA gets from each specific URL.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick S
November 2015

Re: UTM Tracking & Custom Events

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Nick, how are things?

I think you can achieve that using Google Tag Manager.

Since you can use Google Tag Manager to fire something you want based on URL criteria such as "my URL must contain the word XXX", you can use those GTM to fire events based on the UTM parameters values.

This should cover everything you need.

One important thing though: Measure CTA clicks alone may sound fun, but it's not that useful if you don't cross with some other information. The clicks on the button alone won't tell much, so you need to be able to cross that with something else.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nick S,

On the surface, this seems possible from a technical standpoint. If I'm understanding the request, you just need to send as part of the event parameters the document.location.pathname and document.location.search, concatenated, of course.

So something like this, if they're using jQuery (I'm assuming a whole bunch of things):

$('#CTA').click(function(){
ga('send', 'event', 'CTA', document.location.pathname+document.location.search);
})

This will capture into the event action the pathname including the query parameters.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick S
November 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Nick, how are things?

I think you can achieve that using Google Tag Manager.

Since you can use Google Tag Manager to fire something you want based on URL criteria such as "my URL must contain the word XXX", you can use those GTM to fire events based on the UTM parameters values.

This should cover everything you need.

One important thing though: Measure CTA clicks alone may sound fun, but it's not that useful if you don't cross with some other information. The clicks on the button alone won't tell much, so you need to be able to cross that with something else.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nick,

yes you can track and report it. If the campaigns are properly tagged there are basically 3 ways to do so (where 2 are just upgrades to event tracking).
1. Do event tracking either pure GA or GTM (with GTM it should be easier) just think of what you want reported aside from just #clicks as Nicky pointed well
2. Create a goal based on that event (other nice and easy to report metrics will be available (conv rate and similar for each channel - this is of course for the case if you can spare an additional goal slot or you can create a new view with campaign goals set up)
3. Create a custom segment where you can check almost all reports for sessions with or without that specific event among other conditions you require

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response, Leandro. I'm slightly familiar with GTM and have been looking for a reason to use it more. One other question I have for you - the CTA links to a separate domain. Will that make a difference? Any other advice of articles you can send my about how I should properly format my Tags and Triggers? I've been trying a few things but nothing seems to be working the way I currently have it set up. I appreciate the advice!