2.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

UTM Parameter Scope

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have set up some UTM parameters on some of our landing pages referred from different blog posts. Each of the UTM_Campaign parameters is uniquely assigned to only 1 landing page.

While evaluating the data in GA I can see that the Campaign parameters are present against many landing pages, only 1 of which is the one that has the UTM parameters attached to it.

So my questions is what is the scope of these UTM parameters? I thought that they would only be assigned to the page visits from a session after it has entered the site via the UTM_Parametered landing page, and so the only landing pages associated with sessions marked with the Campaign codes should be the ones we have set up.

Our site is set up over a few domains :try.<>, marcomms.<>, www.<> all under the same UA code. Could a user moving through these different domains have caused what I'm seeing?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Martin

Re: UTM Parameter Scope

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think I've solved this one myself, for anyone who falls into this trap I believe it's because I was filtering at user level rather than session. So the landing pages for returning users were showing up in the results.

Filtering at session level shows the kinds of results I would expect.

Thanks,
Martin