4.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

URL Builder

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I used the url builder to create a link to land on one our webpages. We used the link as part of an ad we ran on Facebook. Facebook is reporting over 125 website clicks and when I pull the report for source/medium, I receive only 84 sessions. Why is there such a large difference? Could it be possible I did something incorrectly in GA or does it take a while to register the total number of sessions? Thank you. Jean

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: URL Builder

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi
Most of the times your clicks and sessions wont be a 100% match for several reasons. Apart from that if you are using GA free version the data can be delayed up to 24 hrs.

Has it been more than that ?
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much for the quick response. I am guessing I am using GA free version. Do you know how much it costs for the non-free version or what are the benefits. The promotion is going through until 1 p.m. EST on 7/15, so it has not been more than 24 hours since the end of the promotion.

Using the url builder is the correct way to track click through for facebook ads, e-mails, newsletters, etc., correct?

I am new to GA and I have been studying for the certification. There is a lot to this tool!

Thank you.
Jean

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jean,

Just to chime in here, the non-free version of GA (ie. 360) costs upwards of USD$150,000 per year, and the processing time for data is within 4 hours, but usually if your site is smaller, you can get that same data processing time.

Nicky
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi
URL builder is correct way to track data. But let me warn you that even after 24 hrs chances of click and sessions data being 100% match are slim and most of the times you will have some amount of discrepancy.
Hope this helps
Regards, Nik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Nik for your responses.

When I start reporting this information to the executives is there any solid reason I can give them as to why the numbers don't match, besides they will never match? Smiley Happy

Thank you.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni
HI
There are several reasons but couple of reasons which are easiest to understand are
1. Users with javascript disabled browsers will record clicks but not sessions
2. Users closing page before GA code fires
3. Users behind firewalls which block analytics.js file
4. Some adblockers are known to block dc.js
Hope this helps
Regards, Nik