Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

URL Builder for racking internal links.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm looking to find a solution to tracking home page banner clicks on our website but will obtaining channel source data, ie. paid, organic, referral, social, email. ect.

i have used the URL builder but i think i will need to add more advanced terms in the string so that i still view the original channel data. 

Below is my very basic URL. i can view this in GA under campaigns. 

http://www.robinsonsmotorgroup.co.uk/audi/new-car-offers/audi-tt/audi-tt-coupe/?utm_source=Audi%20TT...

As you can see from my screen shot. The traffic type is set to what i entered in the earlier stages - ideally i'd like to see this as the original type.  

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 12.48.27.png

Another though is if  i can use that URL to trigger an event? if so can i then see event traffic style. 

i want to track HomePage banner clicks and all other associated metric along with it. 

regards 

Simon 

Re: URL Builder for racking internal links.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Simon.

If you want to see all associated metric for banners on your site, you can implement in code part of Enhanced Ecommerce plug-in for measuring internal promotions. Example for promotion impressions (data sends with pageview):

ga('ec:addPromo', {               // Promo details provided in a promoFieldObject.

'id': 'PROMO_1234',             // Promotion ID. Required (string).

'name': 'HP-Banner',          // Promotion name (string).

'creative': 'Audi TT HP Banner',   // Creative (string).

'position': 'banner_slot1'      // Position  (string).
});

Example for promotion clicks (data sends with click banner):

// Identify the promotion that was clicked.
ga
('ec:addPromo', {

'id': 'PROMO_1234',

'name': 'HP-Banner',

'creative': 'Audi TT HP Banner',

'position': 'banner_slot1'
});

// Send the promo_click action with an event.
ga
('ec:setAction', 'promo_click');
ga
('send', 'event', 'Internal Promotions', 'click', 'HP-Banner');

More information about: https://goo.gl/wgFY3V

Then you'll see information in GA report : Conversions->Ecommerce->Marketing->Internal Promotion:

2016-02-26_1932

Hope this helps.

Alex, a.diduh@owox.com