Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tying session data to transaction via Measurment Protocol

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are trying to attach source and medium back to a transaction. 

We have the tracking script on every page and are able to see source and medium when looking at session. 

But if I look at traffic by source/medium under the Acquisition tab, all our transactions are coming in under (direct) / (none). 

I believe this is because we started sending an HTTP Post to google using the Measurement Protocol to pass in a transaction. We found this to be much more accurate then front end scripts. 

My question is what piece of data would I need to send along with that post for that transaction to be tied back to a GA session and then be able to look at transaction by source and medium? 

I am guessing there is some cookie that is placed that I can attach to the post. 

Thank You

1 Expert replyverified_user

Tying session data to transaction via Measurment Protocol

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Walter,

You have to send the client id "cid" in order for attribution not to be broken.  So if I come to the site, you'll need my client id.  It can be harvested in a few different ways. 

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookies-user-id#using_local...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn