Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Trying to track video plays in a colorbox/popup window

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey folks,

We have a client that wants to use event tracking in GA to track Vimeo video plays.  The challenge that I'm encountering is that when you click a video link, the video expands into a popup window (colorbox), which I'm having issues tracking with GTM.  I am attempting to use the code and instructions for Vimeo video tracking put forth by Cardinal Path (here), which has always served us fine when the videos are embedded onto the webpage.  I read another article on Lunametric that says you can use GTM to deploy the colorbox code, but I'm wondering if anyone has gone through a similar situation and if you have a solution.  

Thank you!  

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ben,

Setup the link click trigger which contains your vimeo url as the clicked url in GTM.

Thanks,

Sura

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sura,

Thanks for your reply.  With a lightbox like the one on the BerkeleyRep.org site, the only thing that I would be able to conceivably track, is the expansion of the lightbox.  We would like to track plays, pauses, percentile played, etc, which requires the custom triggers and listeners created by Cardinal Path.  As I understand, a link click trigger will not be able to track when someone clicks on the play buttom.  I checked this in preview mode, and a click is not tracked by GTM.  

Re: Trying to track video plays in a colorbox/popup window

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ben, Any luck with this? I'm trying to accomplish the same thing but with both Vimeo and Youtube lightbox pop-ups. Would love to have all the data you mentioned but would settle for analytics on which videos are played the most.

Re: Trying to track video plays in a colorbox/popup window

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am stuck with the same problem. Any updates on how to solve this issue?