Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Trying to track download button clicks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all Smiley Happy

I am trying to track download button clicks.

I initially was tracking visitors that got to the download confirmation page but I am uncertain it tracks all the data properly and wanted to see if a click event would end up getting more hits which would mean the confirmation page views didn't track it all.

I went into tag manager to set this up but I was a little confused so I contacted support and was put in contact with the implementation team and they set it up however the download link is nowhere to be found in the setup they made, they used ''page views'' and my landing page's URL which I really don't need to track because a click obviously means a landing page view.

Can someone please help with exactly how I need to set this up so that analytics tracks an event every time someone clicks the download button. I need guidance on

(1) how to properly create this in tag manager

(2) how to link the google tag manager information to analytics

(3) how to import those click into my Adwords account for optimization.

Seems like even the Google Implementation Team are challenged by this so I figured I would ask the community Smiley Happy

Thank you and best regards.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pierre A
August 2016

Re: Trying to track download button clicks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Pierre,

Please check the article below about event tracking in GTM, under #3 it explains how to track clicks on a button.
https://www.optimizesmart.com/event-tracking-in-google-tag-manager-v2-complete-guide/

Your event tracking universal analytics tag in GTM will send the event data to Google Analytics. Once you are getting the download button clicks events recorded in GA, you need to set up an event based goal.
Go to Admin -> View -> Goals -> New goal, select "Custom" and "Event" on the next screen. On the next screen type "Downloads via button" into the category field (we set this in GTM as per the article).

As the final step you need to import the goals from analytics into AdWords:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034306?hl=en&utm_id=ad

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Trying to track download button clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Smiley Happy Much appreciated