AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Trouble tracking PDF Downloads

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

on my account i can see all PDFs that have been downloaded. ( Events > Top Events > Downloads > PDFs )
This happens inherently (i've never set tracking on those pages) but I noticed that one PDF - that should be getting a lot of downloads - is not displaying in this list.

What is the criteria GA uses to aggregate PDFs into this report? Does it just look for the extension ".pdf" to display in the URL or is there something else?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trouble tracking PDF Downloads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
GA doesn't natively track downloads as events -- that must be a website plugin or javascript snippet that was installed. Why it doesn't work for a specific file depends on the plugin/javascript. GA just reports what it receives.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.