AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Trouble setting up Goals for Shopify site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all,

I've been running into issues and would love to learn:

How did you set up GA goals to track your Shopify store? And did you use a Destination goal or an Event goal?

My issue with Destination Goal:

Since a regular checkout page (even without completing checkout) also starts with https://checkout.shopify.com/, GA would log each person who simply makes it to the checkout (Destination) page as a "completed checkout." This is the issue I've been stuck with.

Let me know if that needs clarifying and thanks in advance for any feedback!
1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I'm not familiar with Shopify implementation, but if the only hurdle is the above, you could use destination page as goal type, Regular expression as operator instead of Equal to or Begins with and the value as value.

checkout\.shopify\.com/.*/orders/

Basically, the goal will fire when a URL contains checkout.shopify.com followed by anything followed by /orders/.

Does this help? Let me know. As said previously, I'm not familiar with Shopify implementation, yet this goal setup should work provided (1) you can successfully fire GA through Shopify and the checkout URL structure to identify orders follows the pattern in this post.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

R Rodrigues advise will work. Also enhanced ecommerce enabled when putting your GA number straight into shopify does pretty well out of the box. You can also implement GTM and use that along with analytics to fire events based on what ever conditions you would like.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your input R. Rodrigues

Here is one of the examples of a completed checkout:

https://checkout.shopify.com/18853031/orders/65523ce47d987f95acd51d49b21631a

The first series of numbers before /orders is the store destination.

According to your suggestion, would the Regular Expression be checkout.shopify.com/18853031/orders/.*

Thank you again for your help.

Re: Trouble setting up Goals for Shopify site

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
My suggestion covers for anything before and after /orders/