Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Transaction vs. Goal conversion Explanation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am new to all this, but taking the Academy course at the moment. I am confused about Goal Conversion vs Ecommerce transactions. It says in the tutorial:  

As a best practice, you should only add a Goal value for nonecommerce Goals. The reason is that Goal value is cumulative. If you add a Goal value and you track transactions with the ecommerce tracking code, Analytics will add the value of the transaction to the value of the Goal.

1. I am confused about the the descision to either track ecommerce transactions or to set a monetary value to a goal. Based on what do I make the decision which one to use, if monetary value can be added to both? Or do I need to create goals anyway to be able to use ecommerce transactions? 

2. Could someone give an example to the bold part above? 

Thank you, hope these are very simple quesitons. Smiley Happy 

Berit

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

a person can make more than one e commerce transaction during a session.

eg i come to your site.. buy something and check out and then remember that my daughter will probably like what i buy and 'borrow' mine, so I go back and make another purchase of the same item.

on the other hand a goal conversions will only happen once per configured goal,

per session, even if the goal actions are completed times throughout the session

eta - no goals do not have to be configured to use ecommerce or vice versa
goals would usually be used to track things like a thank you page for newsletter signups

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Bronwyon, 

thank you so much! 

Quick clarification: this means if I am on an ecommerce site, and make a purchase, pay and then decide to make a new purchase, a Goal will not distinguish this as a seprate conversion, whereas ecommerce will, correct?

Thank you again!  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If it happens during the same session.. correct.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here