Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Transaction IDs appearing in wrong date range

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have just noticed today that the totals of Transactions and Revenue are a lot different compared to what has actually happened.

We drilled this down to some specific orders that we matched up in our system and had wildly different dates. GA is saying date of 23/11/2016 (yesterday), but the actual date of the order was 28/09/2016! There are about 8 orders that have this issue, all from yesterday and all saying back to around 28th Sept.

What is going on?? I can't find anything around the web about this happening or anything.

Thanks for your help!

Benji

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Benji K
November 2016

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Benji,

The transaction is sent to GA on page load and will be in reports regardless of what happens on the payment processing (unless this prevents page load).

What you are most likely seeing is users revisiting old receipt pages.  Transactions are always tied to the date on which they occur.  It's sometimes hard to see in the Transaction reports because they are deduped.  That is each transaction is listed only once in a date range.

If you select a date range that including both dates above you will see one transaction but should see the amounts duplicated. 

One way to handle this is by using a cookie and conditionally firing the Ecommerce coding when it is present or by using dynamic pages for receipts.  If you are using GTM, Simo Ahava has a step by step for you here:

https://www.simoahava.com/gtm-tips/prevent-repeat-transactions/

Hope that helps,

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Benji,

Can you check the date settings on your ecommerce shop? . Also I noticed it could be the delay in payment processing which could affect the actual date in the online shops backend.

Let me know bit more in detail.

Thanks

Sura

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The timezone we have selected in the view settings is UK time, which will match up with our own reports, however, a timezone could not explain such a massive discrepancy in time.

We are trying to check the payment processing times, but they are through PayPal, would this really be the reason, does GA only take the data after the payment has been processed? I would have thought it would take it at the time it is confirmed on site?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Interesting scenario. Do post your findings here Benji.  

I also noticed the paypal gives the ecommerce payment confirmation after clearing the security checks, so the back end systems gets confirmation after few days but GA is tracked on the day it was ordered. have you cross checked your back end order creation date against the GA?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Benji K
November 2016

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Benji,

The transaction is sent to GA on page load and will be in reports regardless of what happens on the payment processing (unless this prevents page load).

What you are most likely seeing is users revisiting old receipt pages.  Transactions are always tied to the date on which they occur.  It's sometimes hard to see in the Transaction reports because they are deduped.  That is each transaction is listed only once in a date range.

If you select a date range that including both dates above you will see one transaction but should see the amounts duplicated. 

One way to handle this is by using a cookie and conditionally firing the Ecommerce coding when it is present or by using dynamic pages for receipts.  If you are using GTM, Simo Ahava has a step by step for you here:

https://www.simoahava.com/gtm-tips/prevent-repeat-transactions/

Hope that helps,

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn