AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Transaction Goal Count Over-Counting Against Actual Sales

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I'm Ian. First post here. Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find the answer.

So, we have our goal set-up to track website transactions. It's quite simple, the last page of the sales journey is "/basket/complete". Only users who have had a successful transaction will reach this page, so therefore this is our Analytics goal URL. Our developer has ensured that this page can't be entered from it's URL alone, only from the checkout page of a successful transaction.

This has been working very well for us and we've been creating weekly reports based off it. Recently, however, we've been finding discrepancies, in that the total number of recorded conversions (i.e. hits to "basket/complete") is different to the number of actual sales we're getting. We have our CMS back-end report and our Stripe payments data too - which both match up together, but not with Analytics. 

So, for example, Analytics records 11 conversions, but in reality only 9 sales were carried out in the same period on Stripe and our back-end.

Is this common? Maybe there's an obvious reason, but I can't see it.

All help welcomed.

Ian.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Transaction Goal Count Over-Counting Against Actual Sales

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ian,

is it possible that the user can visit the confirmation page in multiple sessions / multiple devices - if he/ she bookmarks or saves the confirmation page? If so the goal will be recorded multiple times for the same thing.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net