AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking users during downtime

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there - one of our sites was recently unavailable due to what we believe to be the result of a high volume traffic. However GA isn't showing a specific spike in traffic around the time the site was unavailable but does show an increase before hand. Can anyone advise whether this is because GA will only report on those users who successfully access the site rather than all users attempting to?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Faye W
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Google Analytics is tracking traffic only when the tracking code is active on the website and it is able to send the data to the GA servers. Users who were not able to access the site were not tracked because the tracking code has not had a chance to fire. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Faye W
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Google Analytics is tracking traffic only when the tracking code is active on the website and it is able to send the data to the GA servers. Users who were not able to access the site were not tracked because the tracking code has not had a chance to fire. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital