Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking time between events/goals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

We've got quite a long sign up process, and I want to see which areas of the that journey are taking people the longest to complete. Ideally I'd like to see a report on the times between each goal conversion.

So from when a customer lands on the site to completing step 1 took xxx seconds. The time it took for those who completed step 1 to complete step 2 took xxx seconds. etc.

Is this possible to do? If it is, can it be setup through GTM?

Kind regards,

Brendan

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brendan A
June

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Great question. My approach would be to add a time stamp to each hit. This can be done by following, for example, the method given by Simo here:

https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/improve-data-collection-with-four-custom-dimensions/

You can then add time stamp as a custom dimension which you can use to sort your reports by and thus calculate the time each step will take. You can further automate this by exporting the data, or extracting via the API, to Google Sheets. Please note - this will increase the number of hits you send to GA so make sure you are not exceeding the 10 million/hits a month threshold as a result.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

That was very helpful thanks you - I've set it up to collect the timestamp variable as outlined, but I'm not sure where I can see it reported. Do you know where I should look in Google Analytics to see that data?

Thanks again,

Brendan

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

It will appear as a custom dimension, which you can either use as a secondary dimension in your reports or as a field in a custom report. To get a chronological order sort by time stamp.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Perfect thanks John