Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking the Value of any Site Element

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I want to be able to get a $ value for every element on the Homepage e.g. hero image, second section, third section, top banner. 

And also measure the change in value depending on what info is placed in each section e.g. product A vs. product B.

Wondering how others measure this? I would think it's reasonably common to want to know this. 

Tracking how many times the element is clicked doesn't give the answer.  

Tracking the conversion rate of users that click on any given element may also not suffice. For example, a lower section could appear more valuable than the main image, only because the users that click down there are already predisposed to being high converters as they take the time to scroll down the page. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sam G
February 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Sam.

If you track a particular element clicks on your home page you can calculate CTR as #click events / #pageviews.

And If your campaigns are tracked with UTM tags you can make this calculation for each campaign.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, @Sam G,

I suppose enhanced ecommerce product impressions is right the tool you need. This will let you track products shown, click rates and general element performance.

Check this guide from Kristoffer: http://online-behavior.com/analytics/enhanced-ecommerce

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Sam G it seems to me you would like to create an attribution model for clickable elements where the question is would you like to subscribe to already built in last click Enhanced Ecommerce View / Click Impression model (it highly depends in this case are you tracking product impressions and clicks or internal promotions) or do something custom (probably a method of assigning a custom metric value on each click which would then be used as a ponder and subsequently used to determine role in sales). The second one serves in the case if a user during a session clicks on multiple promotions - EE will by default assign it to last click.

Hope it helps. 

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This does make sense for a lot of use cases. 

However, what about wanting to know, for example, whether a homepage element talking about our brand performed better with content on campaign x vs campaign y? 

Is the only option adding events to track the CTR of the element?  This would be a lot of events to maintain. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sam G
February 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Sam.

If you track a particular element clicks on your home page you can calculate CTR as #click events / #pageviews.

And If your campaigns are tracked with UTM tags you can make this calculation for each campaign.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ye thanks.  I guess adding events for each element is the best option.  Is there a way to semi-automate this event?  So any new element added to the page will automatically be included in the click event? 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You can set up event listeners to click events on your page and call ga('send', 'event ....) within this listener providing class/Id/tagname as the values for categories and actions. 
If you are using GTM consider utilizing All Clicks trigger to fire the GA enevt and using built-in element Click Class / Click ID variables to pass event data. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6164470?hl=en