Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking registrations with Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I want to see how many people are signing up for my newsletter as a result of my social media efforts. I know that Google Analytics can show me to amount of traffic coming from each social media website (i.e. facebook.com t.co for Twitter and others).  

How would I track and measure the amount of people signing up for my newsletter. Basically, how would I track the amount of people who first visited my website, clicked on the signup page and then completed the signup form (i.e. landed on the "Thank you for registering page").  

I am confused on how to track the "conversion" (i.e. singing up for the newsletter) process as a whole.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking registrations with Google Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Brandon,

to track a conversion you need to set up a goal. A goal in this case can be either destination or event based. Both things are quite applicable in your case.

Destination based goal - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1116091?hl=en

Event based goal - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032415?hl=en#create_or_edit_goals

The conversion result will be present only after the goals have been set up and then you can tie the metrics to their traffic source including social.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick reply!

Just to be clear, if someone clicked on the link from my Facebook page (in the about section or through a non-ad post), went to the website, then clicked on the "register form" (bringing them to a second page), then filled out the form and ended up on the third page (the "Thank you for registering page), I would be able to identify Facebook as the source of this conversion?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Basically yes - if you currently track all of the sources which bring traffic to your site including FB there should be no issues in tracking Conversion traffic source.

There are of course some complications possible if for instance your newsletter subscription process contains crossing multiple domains but it usually is not the case.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net