Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking registration page located in a secure domain (main website isn't secure)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have 2 queries about tracking I'd appreciate help with regarding my business website:

1. Secure registration page
    My main conversion is registration to a trial account, done by clicking on a CTA button on my main site and completing a registration form, which is located on a secure domain. For example, my main site is www.site.com and the registration form is located on secure.site.com. Now, how do I track the conversion correctly:

1. Do I add the same GA code to the secure page or do I need a separate code? 
    2. Do I need to enable cross-domain tracking?
    3. Do I need to track clicks on the CTA button on the regular site (using GTM) and in addition to track form submissions on the secure page (using GTM)?

2. Help Center
    My help center in on help.site.com and I'd like to track it as well, and the behavior of the users going from my main site (www.site.com) to the help center. What is the best way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hadas S
June 2016

Re: Tracking registration page located in a secure domain (main website isn't secure)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hadas,

if you're using Universal Analytics (analytics.js) code and your secure and help hosts reside on the same domain you're already fine - sub-domain tracking is included automatically. Just put the same GA (or GTM) code on all pages and hosts. You don't need cross-domain tracking in this environment. Tracking automatically adjusts for secure and non-secure pages. Tracking the direct form submissions should be preferable.

Christoph

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hadas S
June 2016

Re: Tracking registration page located in a secure domain (main website isn't secure)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hadas,

if you're using Universal Analytics (analytics.js) code and your secure and help hosts reside on the same domain you're already fine - sub-domain tracking is included automatically. Just put the same GA (or GTM) code on all pages and hosts. You don't need cross-domain tracking in this environment. Tracking automatically adjusts for secure and non-secure pages. Tracking the direct form submissions should be preferable.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Christoph. I'll implement the codes on the subdomains and check if everything is tracked properly.