Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking "registration" from where the user came from

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, so I am stumped. I have worked with Google Analytics a lot but not to the level that I need now. 

My goal:

1) In Google Analytics, the client would like to be able to view the number of times a user started at a certain URL 

2) In Google Analytics, the client would like to be able to view the number of times a user who started at that cpecific URL registered for a class (clicked the register button, which does not have a specific URL).

So, am I using Google Tag?

What do I need to set this up?

Is anybody able to help me or send me in the right direction?

Thank you!!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

1) Do they mean the URL that the visitor first saw? i.e. their landing page. 

2) Do you already have event tracking set up on the register button?

'Google Tag' - do you mean Google Tag Manager? This will help you implement events etc but will require migrating all your GA set-up. Read more here: https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6103696?hl=en and here: https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/quickstart

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The client has external ads on 4 different websites (not through Google Adwords, just a local website that displays ads) and their end goal is to see if they are worthwhile. Each ad has their own custom URL that is redirected to the same landing page on the clients website. They are trying to track the visitors that clicked an ad on one of the 4 external websites, leading them to the landing page... that also registered for an event on their own website. 

Yes I do mean Google Tag Manager. So sorry

I will work on setting up event tracking on the register button. Another question that I have is that there are several register buttons that the client would like to track on their webpage. Each event has their own register button. Do I need to track every single button, and is there a way to track if they clicked on any one of those?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I now have the register buttons set up with event tracking.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Ok - When you say custom URL I assume you mean campaign tracking. That means we can identify the traffic from the different websites and measure - already - their performance in terms of bounce rate, pages per session etc. To begin with you can use the landing page report and then use campaign as a secondary dimension to see the general performance of the different websites. 

Event tracking. Depending how you did it, you should be able to distinguish between the different buttons. There's different ways to do this, but GTM will allow you to send different events based on - for example - the characteristics of the buttons such as element class or text. Alternatively, you could capture the button text and send it to your events as a label.

Support here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6164470?hl=en

You can then set up a goal, using this event, or create a custom table which reports sessions and events from these external websites.

I very much recommend testing all of this before you go live. A common issue is that button tracking can be triggered by another, unrelated, event if you have been too broad with the trigger rules.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.