AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking page on un-owned domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a client that wants to track traffic to a realty posting on the realtor's web site. They don't have any administrative access to the page nor do they plan on interacting with the realtor's IT or webmaster. I don't have much experience with Google Analytics but I just assumed that without being able to add the reference code to the website that you wouldn't be able to get any information back. But I've looked at their account and they are getting data from the page. I assume that there is some kind of top level domain option to allow anonymous tracking that the realtor has enabled. Can anyone confirm this to be the case? They want to track another listing now and I'm not sure they its going to work for them this time. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking page on un-owned domain

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chris,
This is not possible. Unless there's the users tracking code on the listing, what they are seeing is not data from that listing.
There's no top level domain option to see traffic for domains that you don't control or have admin access to.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But is it possible for the top level domain owner to allow others to track their pages?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Absolutely. They could set up access to a view to a specific page or set of pages or they can install a second tracking snippet on the required pages.

Bear in mind, if he/she gives access via a view, only traffic from the date the view was created will be visible.

See here for more info. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2649553?hl=en