Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking on-site campaigns in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an e-commerce site. On my home page I have several banners promoting different sale pages on the site.

I was trying to use ONLY the utm_campaign parameter in the link so that I can see that segment of users who clicked the banner and what they did on the site (conversions, etc). I purposefully did NOT include the utm_source, utm_medium parameters in hopes that those values wouldn't be overwritten from their original source/medium. But it doesn't seem like GA is showing any of the clicks when I only include the utm_campaign parameter...

Example:

1. A visitor comes to the site from Google PPC ad click.
  2. They then click on the sale banner and continue to add items to the cart and checkout. The link looks like this: www.xyz.com?utm_campaign=cross-sell
  3. I want to make sure in my tracking implementation that this user's original source/medium stay as Google PPC but I can still see that this user clicked the ad and bought $x of goods.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Re: Tracking on-site campaigns in GA

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Matt,

If you’re using campaign parameters on internal links, you'll screw up your data. Let’s say you overwrite some of your organic traffic as internal_campaign, your pageviews will also show up as coming from internal_campaign. And if visitors convert, the conversions will be attributed to this internal_campaign.

I recommend implementing enhanced e-commerce and using an internal promotions feature. If you’re using internal promotions, for example internal banners that promote sales on another part of your site, you can track views, clicks, and the click-through rate for those promotions in the Internal Promotion report.

Here you can read more about that: http://www.lovesdata.com/blog/2014/measuring-internal-campaigns
Here's the developer guide for enhanced e-commerce: https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/enhanced-ecommerce

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Re: Tracking on-site campaigns in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Taavi,
Implementing this solution will take a developer's intervention as javascript functions have to be added to those specific pages only... and variables dynamically populated from the database... Adding onclick functions to the anchor tags I can do myself.. Was hoping there was an easier way not requiring a developer Smiley Sad

Event tracking may be an option since it only requires adding the onclick functions to the anchor links, but in the Event reporting section of GA, I can't see any good info. about those events.. like their source/medium, did it lead to a purchase, how much was the purchase, etc... Smiley Sad(

Matt