AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking offline referral sources - print ads, direct mail, etc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client is advertising in some magazines (offline media) and would like to effectively track the responses.  The company has two additional domain names that are pointing to its website which we can use, but we need more sources and are looking at creating some custom URLs.  My questions:  1. How do I assign a referral source to these domains and custom urls - what are the steps?  2. I am not sure how to redirect the "nonexistent" urls to the website home page or other pages. 3. Since there are a finite number of magazines that reach the target audience and ads run seasonally, do I have the option of making the referral permanent and running reports during time periods, or am I better off creating campaigns for the media (i.e.spring, summer, fall)?  Thanks.

Re: Tracking offline referral sources - print ads, direct mail, etc.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

The ideal is to create a landing page with relevance to your print ad and which as a URL that is trackable like domain.com/printadlandingpage

Re: Tracking offline referral sources - print ads, direct mail, etc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, but my goal at the moment is to simply track sources to the website, not a particular offer or in this case a property listing. The ads feature many real estate properties, so the goal is to simply bring the target market to the home page for now. So, the question is how to do it without creating 6 landing pages.