AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking multiple cross-domain URLs for one goal slot with regex

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have cross-domain tracking enabled and am trying to track form completions on my microsite from the main site's account. I've set up a new destination goal and set it this way: 

Regular expression: /path1/path2|/path3/path4

but when I click to verify the goal, it tells me that 0 conversions have been made in the past 7 days. I'm pretty sure there are like 2 leads from the past 7 days though. What am I doing wrong? Is it not possible to set up goals across domains? 

UPDATE: This type of goal tracking works for my microsite account but doesn't work for my main site account for some reason. Cross domain tracking was set up 2 days ago if that means anything. I checked out the page reports though and filtered out everything else except my thank you page URLs and saw 15 hits in the past 7 days. This is not showing up on the main site analytics goal setup though. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Angeli V
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Angeli V :-)
You mention that you have setup cross domain tracking.. then later mention:
This type of goal tracking works for my microsite account but doesn't work for my main site account for some reason.

Cross domain tracking requires tracking code for the same single Property/tracking id be used on all sites that are being used/tracked.

eg tracking code on example-1.com:

ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXX-Y', 'auto', {'allowLinker': true});
ga('require', 'linker');
ga('linker:autoLink', ['example-2.com'] );

eg tracking code on example-2.com:

ga('require', 'linker');
ga('linker:autoLink', ['example-1.com'] );

All domains then need to be added to the Property's Referral Exclusion List

and then a new View with the following filter should be created so as to be able to track pageviews on the different domains separately, rather than in aggregate

Filter Type: Custom filter > Advanced
Field A: Hostname Extract A: (.*)
Field B: Request URI Extract: (.*)
Output To: Request URI Constructor: $A1$B1
Click Save to create the filter.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Angeli V
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Angeli V :-)
You mention that you have setup cross domain tracking.. then later mention:
This type of goal tracking works for my microsite account but doesn't work for my main site account for some reason.

Cross domain tracking requires tracking code for the same single Property/tracking id be used on all sites that are being used/tracked.

eg tracking code on example-1.com:

ga('require', 'linker');
ga('linker:autoLink', ['example-2.com'] );

eg tracking code on example-2.com:

ga('require', 'linker');
ga('linker:autoLink', ['example-1.com'] );

All domains then need to be added to the Property's Referral Exclusion List

and then a new View with the following filter should be created so as to be able to track pageviews on the different domains separately, rather than in aggregate

Filter Type: Custom filter > Advanced
Field A: Hostname Extract A: (.*)
Field B: Request URI Extract: (.*)
Output To: Request URI Constructor: $A1$B1
Click Save to create the filter.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey @Bronwyn V

Thanks for the response, it was a big help. I realized that I actually missed this part: "All domains then need to be added to the Property's Referral Exclusion List". I misunderstood the concept of the Referral Exclusion List and only added the primary domain as an exclusion on the primary analytics account, same with secondary domain. 

After I did that, my goal setup started showing me that data was coming in. Brilliant! 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Happy to hear this is now working for you  

Cheers

Bronwyn