Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking goals from a specific landing page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Looking to track how many people who land on a certain page, then go on to convert as a goal (and the conversion rate)

A goal could be any number of things - sign up for one of the webinars we are promoting, an event, download a piece of collateral or even just view a blog page

It doesn't have to be a specific webinar, event, piece of collateral or blog, just any one of those which are on the site

Please note our sign up forms are hosted by our marketing automation platform, so are placed on the website as iframes

Thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking goals from a specific landing page

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Digital Darren,

You're going to need some robust tracking to overcome your iframe issues. That said, what you are trying to do can easily be achieved by creating an advanced segment and adding a condition for "landing page" and goal completions >0. (assuming of course that the goals are configured and tracking properly.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your response Theo Smiley Happy

The problem I have is that we use individual thank you pages for each gated page (webinar registrations, event registrations, resource downloads) and GA only allows us to add 20 goals by destination page (we have far more than that).

In addition, we want to record things like reading ungated/individual blog pages as goals in this instance.

Thanks

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Digital Darren,

So there are quite a few workarounds; here are a couple:

1. Can you logically group your thank you pages by type? That is all webinar registrations have a URI pattern of something like /webinar-thank-you/name-of-webinar

That would allow you to set up a core group of goals for each type of conversion. You can get the detail in the Goal URL's report.

You could also, if you wanted, creat duplicate views and contain the groups of goals in each, e.g. Example.com - Webinar Goals, Example.com - Download Goals.

I'd caution you on using something as generic as un-gated blog pages as a goal as your goal conversion rate will escalate and the data is readily available in the behavior reports. That said, if it has value that you can measure, go for it and make sure you add that value in to the goal settings.

Hope that helps...

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo

Yes I have content groupings set up in analytics for things like the thank you pages; however, I can't see an option to add a content grouping as a goal type when setting up goals?

Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hey Digital Darren,

So you have three differnt operators you can use to configure goals:

Equalts to (Exact match of the URI with no parameters or anything else coming after your entry)

Begins with (pattern that only specifieds how the URI begins, For example /webinars/thank-you/ would match /webinars/thank-you/demo.html and /webinars/thank-you/overview.html and /webinars/thank-you/?intro

Regular Expression (you would use this if you; unfortunately, do not have a logical thank you pages - this is the most powerful and most complex match type and we have several posts on them like this one http://www.morevisibility.com/blogs/analytics/stuck-between-a-and-a-place.html LunaMetrics also has s great pdf guide.)

Begins with and Regular Experssions is how you would "group" your thank you pages together and which to use really depends on the structure of your site

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn