Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking goals for paid search after confirmation email

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,
When some one come to my site through paid search campaign and signed up for my service, I then sent customers emails.

If they use the same browser open up the email box and click on the confirmation link and come back to my site with a new tab, would that be attributed to my original campaign? 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CP Y
February 2017

Re: Tracking goals for paid search after confirmation email

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Usually, those sessions are attributed to the email service provider and it's a problem.

The solution is to exclude all the referrals on your "/thank-you" page. No matter where those visitors come from, they will not be counted as a referral, and thanks to Google Analytics’ last non-direct source attribution, your pre-confirmation-link-click-session will stay intact and those sessions will be attributed to the original source (to your Paid Search Campaign in this case).

You'll need a Google Tag Manager to implement it. Here you can read more about this tool.

You'll need to create a Custom JavaScript variable in GTM and use the following code:

function() {
  return {{Page Path}}.indexOf('/thank-you') > -1 ? null : document.referrer;
}

You should modify the string in the indexOf method to match the path of your thank-you page (a page that people will see after clicking on the confirmation link).

After that, you should head on over to your Universal Analytics tags in GTM which fire on the thank-you page. You’ll need to edit all of those tags because even a single tag which gets through with incorrect referrer information will start a new session.

In the tag settings, browse down to Fields to Set and use this kind of settings (use the name of your variable):

exclude referrer.png

It's not a simple solution but it should help you out. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Taavi

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CP Y
February 2017

Re: Tracking goals for paid search after confirmation email

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Usually, those sessions are attributed to the email service provider and it's a problem.

The solution is to exclude all the referrals on your "/thank-you" page. No matter where those visitors come from, they will not be counted as a referral, and thanks to Google Analytics’ last non-direct source attribution, your pre-confirmation-link-click-session will stay intact and those sessions will be attributed to the original source (to your Paid Search Campaign in this case).

You'll need a Google Tag Manager to implement it. Here you can read more about this tool.

You'll need to create a Custom JavaScript variable in GTM and use the following code:

function() {
  return {{Page Path}}.indexOf('/thank-you') > -1 ? null : document.referrer;
}

You should modify the string in the indexOf method to match the path of your thank-you page (a page that people will see after clicking on the confirmation link).

After that, you should head on over to your Universal Analytics tags in GTM which fire on the thank-you page. You’ll need to edit all of those tags because even a single tag which gets through with incorrect referrer information will start a new session.

In the tag settings, browse down to Fields to Set and use this kind of settings (use the name of your variable):

exclude referrer.png

It's not a simple solution but it should help you out. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Taavi